Michael Edelson C.S.
CRIMINAL DEFENCE LAWYER
e graduated magna cum laude in 1975 from the University of Ottawa Law School. He was called to the Ontario Bar in 1977. Since 1977 his practice has been largely restricted to the defence of criminal and regulatory offences.
• In 1989 he was certified as a Specialist in Criminal Law by the Law Society of Ontario. He is a past president of the Defence Counsel Association.
• Long time member of the Criminal Lawyers Association, where he has lectured and written articles for their criminal conferences.
• Selected as a member of the “Honour Society” of the Common Law Faculty, University of Ottawa Law School.
• Has been repeatedly voted by his peers as one of the Best Lawyers in Canada, criminal law, and repeatedly voted by his peers and named by the Best Lawyers in Canada, Ottawa “Criminal Defence Lawyer of the Year”.
• Was an adjunct professor for many years at the University of Ottawa Law School, where he created a course in criminal trial advocacy, providing students with real life advocacy experience. He also brought this expertise to teach lawyers in Mexico, trial advocacy skills.
• Formerly a faculty member on the National Federation of Law Societies.
• Elected by his peers as a Fellow on the American College of Trial Lawyers, representing the top 1% of the trial lawyers in the Province.
• Tried over 1,500 criminal cases in his career, including homicides, complex frauds; in particular, he spent over 4 years advising and representing a key executive in the SNC Lavalin prosecution, drinking and driving related cases, drug projects and a wide range of other criminal offences, with significant success.
• Represented a broad base of clients, including many police officers charged with serious offences.
• The co-author of the Fourth Edition of “Cross Examination, The Art of the Advocate”, along with Mr. Justice Roger Salhany and Justice Vincent Clifford.
• Michael welcomes your call for assistance, relating to all criminal and regulatory offenses.
• His practice is primarily focused in the Ottawa and surrounding East Region courts.
• Has worked with counsel and represented clients in other provinces, as well as in other jurisdictions such as Bermuda, Spain, Switzerland and London, England in association with local legal experts.